A short history
St. Gregory's Episcopal Church was originally organized as Ascension Chapel, a parochial chapel of St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Muskegon. on April 3, 1955. The first Eucharist was held on Palm Sunday in the Walburn Funeral Home. The Rev. David Bryce, Curate of St. Paul's, officiated.
The parish moved to Maple Grove School, then located at the corner of Norton and Henry Streets, in September of 1955, and changed its name to St. Gregory's Mission in November.
St. Gregory's became a Diocesan Mission in January of 1956, and a Parish Church in January 1957. February saw the groundbreaking for the first unit of the new church. Bishop Dudley B. McNeil dedicated the building and furnishings in September of 1957. The groundbreaking for the church addition, which is the present sanctuary, was in February 1963 and dedicated on December 8, 1963. Another Curate of St. Paul's, Fr. Shelbert Harris, became St. Gregory's first Rector.
The latest addition, which greatly improves the usefulness of the entire building as well as making all the building handicapped accessible, was dedicated by Bishop Lee on February 22, 1999. A lovely Memorial Courtyard, begun in 1979 and one of the first in this area, continues to be available to members and friends of St. Gregory's.
St. Gregory's has been led by eight different Rectors.
Traditionally, St. Gregory's has Eucharist every Sunday morning at 10:00 am. Rite II is used most of the year. We also have a Thursday morning service at 10:00 am.
Our Sunday School Program meets on Sunday mornings at 10:00 am. During the Peace, the children join their families in the church for Eucharist. The 3rd Sunday of each month, during the school year, is Youth Sunday. Our young people are the greeters and lesson readers, they participate in the offering, bring the elements to the altar and pass the offertory plates. We welcome their special music from time to time. We hope that this gives our young people an opportunity to gain the confidence and knowledge to fully participate in the service.
Our choir is a vibrant group that sings at the 10:00 am service. Our hymnody is is enhanced by our 100+ year old tracker pipe organ with beautiful tone qualities. Click the link to see a wonderful study of our organ. We also enjoy a 'guitar mass' on the third Sunday of the month.
Our priest is assisted at the altar by Lay Eucharistic Ministers, lay readers that rotate Sundays and services. We also have a dedicated group of Eucharistic Visitors that take Holy Communion to our shut-ins as requested.
Our Altar Guild schedule rotates Sundays. Their commitment and prayerful concern for the everyday tasks concerning the altar is commendable.